Adding Meat To Taco Dip
Adding seasoned ground beef to your taco dip is an easy way to add more flavor and another layer make the dip heartier. You can use leftover ground beef from taco night , or quickly brown a pound of ground beef . Cooking the beef doesn’t make this easy taco dip recipe take any longer really because you can do it while you prep the remaining ingredients.
Ground beef is the traditional choice, but you can also use ground turkey, chicken, or venison too. Although less traditional, you could even substitute Mexican shredded beef!
How To Make Ground Beef Taco Dip:
First, brown the ground beef. I used a large skillet over medium high heat.
Once the ground beef has finished cooking, drain off the excess grease.
Second, stir in 1 Tablespoon of the taco seasoning or ½ a packet if using store bought) with the salsa and water. Cook uncovered for a few minutes. It normally takes between 2 to 4 minutes.
Next, in a separate large bowl, add together the cream cheese, sour cream and the remaining taco seasoning and beat with a hand held mixer.
Finally, spread the cream cheese mixture in the bottom of a 8X8 or 9X9 pan. You might need to use a spatula to smooth out the cream cheese mixture.
Once the cream cheese mixture is smooth, top with the ground beef, shredded lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and sliced olives.
Ingredients For A Seven Layer Dip
The base to this recipe is simple.
Seasoned beef, refried beans, a cream cheese/sour cream blend and some shredded cheese. From there, add your favorite toppings such as shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, chopped onion and sliced jalapeños.
Technically, this is an 8 layer dip because I add seasoned beef to the recipe. I dont like the taste of refried beans on its own.
Its a texture thing.
The seasoned beef adds a favorable element to the dip that takes this 7 layer dip to the next level.
Also Check: Used Refrigerated Salad Bar For Sale
Crockpot Taco Dip With Ground Beef
While there are many taco dips on the net, many do not even include ground beef. Sure, that is perfectly fine for anyone wanting a meatless appetizer, but for uswere all about the beef! This appetizer is a must-try because you really do have minimal work involved. You will need to mince, or press some garlic, dice an onion and brown your beef, but I assure you it is worth it! Everyone will be wanting this recipe so be prepared to share!
Unlike making tacos, I chose not to add the taco spice packet to the beef and added it directly to my 3-quart Crockpot which is the Hearth and Hand model by Magnolia. This size slow cooker was perfect for this appetizer, but you could use a 5 quart, or a 6 quart if you choose to double this recipe.
More Mexican Beef Recipes:
Layered Beef Taco Dip A FAST and EASY layered dip with taco-seasoned cream cheese, sour cream, ground beef, black beans, cheese, tomatoes, and more!! Perfect for your next FIESTA and a guaranteed WINNER with everyone!!
Loaded Beef Taco Salad Loaded with crisp romaine lettuce, sweet corn, juicy tomatoes, and more! It comes together in just 20 minutes and is topped with the most incredible cilantro lime dressing!
Beef Taco Pasta Skillet An EASY recipe thats ready in 20 minutes, made in ONE skillet, and loaded with Mexican-inspired flavors!! A family favorite thats great for busy weeknights!!
Beef Tater Tot-Chos Crispy tater tots topped with taco-seasoned ground beef and melted cheese is a DELICIOUS and fun twist on nachos!! EASY, ready in no time, and perfect for PARTIES!!
Loaded Beef Skillet Nachos EASY, ready in 15 minutes, and LOADED with taco-seasoned ground beef, black beans, corn, cilantro, and lots of CHEESE!! Great for parties, game days, after school snacks, or a cheat night dinner!!
Mexican Taco Pizza EASY, ready in 20 minutes, and like eating a taco in pizza form!! Taco-seasoned ground beef on top of refried beans with melted cheese and your favorite taco fixings!!
Cheesy Beef Taco Pie Your favorite taco ingredients baked into a savory, CHEESY pie!! Ground beef, tomatoes, tortilla chips, and more! Great for parties, tailgating, or EASY family dinners and everyone loves it!!
Recommended Reading: How Many Carbs In Chicken Salad
Tools To Make Seven Layer Taco Dip
Tap the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Glass Casserole Dish I suggest using a clear dish for this layered taco dip recipe so that you can see each and every layer.
- Hand Mixer Guess what? I love my hand mixer! Not only does it make mixing the cream cheese sour cream taco dip layer easy, but it takes up no storage in my kitchen. Major win.
When To Serve Mexican Dip Recipes
Ive mentioned that this Seven Layer Taco Dip is ideal for the big game, the Super Bowl of course! But its also fantastic for New Years Eve, Family Gatherings, Movie Night with Friends, or a cozy Game night at home.
Dont forget Cinco de Mayo! Adding this fun Dip Recipe to your Taco Tuesday or Cinco de Mayo party is also ideal.
Do yourself a favor and have some extra Sour Cream for those that want a little extra on their plate. I love to have extra toppings in small bowls and plate on a cutting board like a Charcuterie Board. Allowing everyone to add those extra fun toppings they like.
You May Like: Good Low Calorie Salad Dressing
More Dips You Might Enjoy:
If youre a fan of hot dips, this is the best taco dip recipe try it out and let us know what you think! This recipe is sure to be the best part of your upcoming meal. The ground beef mixture, combined with the sour cream layer, salsa, and cheese makes this a great addition to any dinner table or party as a side dish or easy appetizer. Now that Ive shared one of my favorite recipes with you, its time for me to get back into the kitchen and whip up something new. Until then, happy cooking everyone!
Why Youll Want To Make The Best Taco Dip Recipe
- Everyone LOVES this flavorful, hearty Tex-Mex appetizer and will be SO excited when they see you walk into the room with it.
- It comes together quickly you only need about 20 minutes to make this recipe.
- You can make it a couple of hours ahead of time if you need to. Just stick it in the fridge and let it come to room temperature before you serve it. If you do need to make it further in advance, wait to add the veggies until youre ready to serve it, otherwise, the dip will become watery.
- This recipe is fully customizable add and delete toppings to your hearts content.
- If youre thinking this recipe looks amazing, but you dont have a party to go to tonight, go ahead and make it anyway! It also works well as a fun, easy dinner idea. In addition to the tortilla chips, you can give your kids small tortillas or taco shells, and stuff them with the dip.
- The best part of this recipe is that you can customize it to your familys tastes. Add in your favorite toppings green onions, any flavor shredded cheese , black beans, jalapeno slices, or green chiles all make a great addition to this easy taco dip recipe.
Recommended Reading: Acacia Wood Salad Bowl Set
How To Make Layered Taco Dip
Layer 1:Cream cheese.
In a small bowl, blend cream cheese with sour cream and taco seasoning. You can make homemade taco seasoning, or use one packet of store bought. Spread this in the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish. This can also be assembled in a trifle bowl!
Layer 2:Meat or beans.
Brown one pound of ground beef and add taco seasoning mix. If you prefer to keep this vegetarian, you can use refried beans or black beans instead. You can also use your slow cooker to make your taco meat ahead of time!
Once the meat is browned, spread over the top of layer one.
Layer 4:Sour Cream.
We use a thin layer of sour cream to allow even the pickiest of eaters to enjoy this dip. But if you love the creamy white stuff, slather it on thick!
Layer 5: Salsa.
The thicker the better. I find most store brand salsas are too watery for this dip. I mean, they work great for the first ten minutes, then the salsa layer really starts to get watery.
For best results, a homemade Pico de Gallo would be my number one choice. But, if you dont have time to make your own, the thickest salsa you can find is the best option!
Cheddar. Colby Jack. Mexican Blend. Pick your favorite shredded taco cheese and pile it on!
Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
How To Make Taco Salad Dip:
1. In a large skillet, brown ground beef . Drain with a paper-towel if there is excess liquid. My 7% beef didnt have any extra juices to drain.
2. Combine 1 packet of taco seasoning mix with 1/4 cup water. Once the beef is fully cooked, stir the taco seasoning mix into the beef and remove from heat to cool down.
3. In the bowl of a food processor (we are using the Cuisinart Prep 11-Cup Food Processor, blend 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 package cream cheese and 1 cup salsa until well combined and smooth.
I could just dip my chip right in there.
4. Spread beef into the bottom of a 9×13-inch glass baking pan, or into individual glass ramekins if you want to get fancy, or if you have time to kill. Top the meat with the blended cream cheese mixture.
5. Sprinkle evenly with finely grated cheese. Top with sliced lettuce, diced tomatoes, avocado and cilantro . If you arent serving right away, you might squeeze some lime juice over your avocado to keep it from browning, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve .
Serve with Taco chips naturally. These are the organic chips from Costco. They are so good. My husband has to pull the bag away from me when I finish my dip because I just keep eating the chips . :-O
Also Check: Cpk Super Spinach And Quinoa Salad
Baked Taco Ground Beef Dip
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
We make a quick 5 Minute Taco Dip which is a fast favorite but adding some ground beef and baking it adds melty cheesy goodness!
This hot cheesy ground beef dip is packed with taco flavor, heaps of cheese, and fully loaded with all the fixins!
Its guaranteed to be a huge hit and to disappear as soon as it is placed on the table.
What To Serve With Taco Dip
Taco dip is a great appetizer to share. As much as I would like to just dig in with a spoon, there are some more appropriate and even better ways to eat it.
Here are a few ideas for dippers:
- Tortilla chips
- Fritos- especially good because they dont break as easily and can get a lot of dip on each bite!
- Baked tortillas cut flour tortillas into quarters and bake until crispy
- Mini peppers
- Bell pepper strips- one of my favorite healthy options. I like to cut them short and wide to be the most dippable
- Celery sticks- not my first choice but great if you are looking for a lighter option that holds up well for dipping
This dip does make enough to feed a crowd, but if you want to add a little more, it pairs well with these other appetizers:
Just make the Taco Dip, or make a few appetizers to stretch the recipes out among many! These all are super simple and widely loved!
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Get A Caesar Salad
Can I Make This In Advance
While this creamy taco dip can be made a few hours in advance, dont make it too early or the avocado will start to brown.
Also, make sure that the avocado layer is completely covered by the layers of cream cheese, beans and meat. That way not much air can get to it, so it should stay a lovely bright green.
How To Make Homemade Taco Seasoning
Also, store-bought taco seasonings serve the purpose, and if you like to customize flavors as per your liking, you can make it at home. All you need is spices like garlic powder, cumin powder, chili powder, paprika, dried oregano, onion powder, sea salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Mix all the ingredients and store them in a jar.
Don’t Miss: Chicken Salad Chick Sandy Springs
Can You Make This Into A Dairy Free Dip
If youre dairy free, this recipe is going to be challenging because of all the cheese and sour cream. However, you could try the following substitutions:
Use my Vegan Tofu Sour Cream Recipe as a substitute for the sour cream.
Find a vegan or dairy free cream cheese to use instead of the regular cream cheese.
Use vegan cheddar shredded cheese.
Check the label to make sure the taco seasoning you use doesnt have any dairy in it. You can also use my Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix.
Tips For Making Taco Dip With Meat And Cream Cheese
Can you make taco dip ahead of time? You can make most of this taco dip ahead of time including the night before. To make ahead, follow all the recipe steps except baking and adding the toppings. Then pop in the oven when youre ready to serve and then add toppings.
What toppings to use for taco dip? I used lettuce, tomato, and sour cream as toppings for this taco dip, but you can use your favorite toppings. A lot of people like to add sliced, black olives, but Ive never learned to like them. I like green olives , but not black olivesgo figure! Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.
Need another dip idea for Cinco de Mayo? How about one with tequila? Then try this Crockpot Margarita Chicken Dip.
Now grab a drink, some chips, and enjoy! Cheers everyone!
You May Like: Oxo Good Grips Little Salad Dressing Shaker Green
What To Serve With Keto Taco Dip
There are so many ways to eat Mexican taco dip with cream cheese. I personally love to add some more veggies in when I can , so I love to scoop up this delicious dip with bell pepper strips. But really, theres no wrong way to eat seven layer taco dip. Here are some ideas:
- Bell Pepper Strips This might just be my favorite scooper. Use any color you like, or a variety.
- Celery Sticks A great low carb veggie without a ton of flavor so that it wont compete with keto layered taco dip.
- Cheddar Cheese Crisps These crunchy chip-like crisps are perfect for scooping and made entirely from cheese.
- Keto Fathead Crackers Crackers might be slightly unconventional when it comes to taco dip with cream cheese, but hey, it works!
- Low Carb Tortilla Chips Bet you didnt even know keto tortilla chips existed! These are made with pantry staples.
Making The Ultimate Cinco De Mayo Party
Having a Cinco de Mayo party? This taco layer dip makes a great addition to your celebration and goes well with all kinds of Mexican recipes.
If youre looking for another easy appetizer, try this Easy Nachos Recipe.
Another tasty Cinco de Mayo party recipe is Chopped & Layered Taco Salad. It uses similar ingredients to the seven layer taco dip, making your grocery shopping a breeze.
You May Like: Nature Source Organic Salad Topper
How To Serve Layer Taco Dip
While you can serve this dip cold, the best way is to serve the dip right out of the oven.
Place the casserole dish in 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes BEFORE adding any additional toppings.
Pro tip: Layer the dip in a slow cooker and keep on low for a party. That way the dip is warm and the cheese is gooey! Spray the crock with cooking spray for easy cleanup. Works great in a 3 to 4-quart crockpot.
Serve the taco dip with a variety of tortilla chips, both sizes and styles as well as flavors. I like restaurant style as they hold up to a heavy dip.
The Best Slow Cooker Taco Dip
Do you love tacos? Do they give you the same feeling as comfort food like mac and cheese, lasagna, or chicken noodle soup? Well if so then I have a recipe for you that is my favorite go-to dish when it comes to entertaining. This dish is called The BEST Slow Cooker Taco Dip. Its made with seasoned ground beef, garlic, onion, taco seasoning mix, Velveeta, sour cream, and Rotel. All of these ingredients meld together in a slow cooker on low for 2 hours. Once cooked, simply serve with tortilla or corn chips! This post contains affiliate links.
Im not sure if youve noticed, but there are a lot of appetizer dips around this time of year. And I dont know about you, but its always easier for me to make an appetizer dip than an actual meal to serve at parties. Dont get me wrong I love cooking and baking as much as the next person, but sometimes it just doesnt seem worth the hassle when so many people have already made something similar.
Enter: Slow Cooker Taco Dip! Its easy enough to throw together on a weeknight, delicious enough that everyone will want seconds , and perfect for dipping tortilla chips, or mini rainbow peppers into! Which means no one has to miss out on the fun because theyre watching their carbs!
Before we get to this creamy, perfectly spiced dip, I wanted to share some tips and tricks for the BEST results possible.
You May Like: Is Olive Garden Salad Dressing Gluten Free