Why These Healthy Salad Recipes
Im fully aware that you can find many other healthy salad recipes on the web with a touch of a finger. But mine are the best! Pinky promise! In this list you will find healthy spinach salad recipes, kale salads, bean salads and more.
- Easy recipes In many of these salads, even a healthy salad dressing recipe is dumped into the same bowl. I do not love extra steps. We never did in Ukraine and look, I turned out just fine.
- Simple ingredients We are talking about superstore grocery basic avocado, greens, tomato, pasta and quinoa ingredients. However, I encourage you to buy local, seasonal and pesticide free whenever possible.
- Meal worthy and nourishing Most salad ideas are good as a healthy meal or will make you a potluck super star. Full of vitamins and nutrients rather than loaded with saturated fat, sugar and sodium, these salads are perfect for lunch and dinner.
- Tasty I have compiled a collection of salads I would truly enjoy eating like a strawberry cheesecake. What is the prettiest salad worth if it tastes like kale?!
Enjoy these interesting healthy salads recipes for dinner or lunch!
Celery Salad With Apples
Heres a surprisingly delicious salad recipe that deserves a spot on your plate: celery salad! The name doesnt have quite the ring of say, potato salad. But this unique salad is so refreshing, youll become a convert from the first bite. Crunchy celery pairs perfectly with sweet apple, Parmesan shavings and a tangy vinaigrette. Its bright, its crunchy, its hydrating: it works for summer, and its perfect in the winter too.
Pear Salad With Walnuts And Gorgonzola
Crisp, creamy, crunchy, and sweet, this sophisticated pear side salad has it all. Sweet, juicy fresh pears, rich Gorgonzola cheese crumbles, nutty toasted walnuts, and chewy raisins mingle with mixed salad greens in a light and lemony vinaigrette. It’s a great salad for holiday dinners or a starter that will class up your table at any time of year.
Don’t Miss: What Goes On A Cobb Salad
The Best Salad Recipe
The BEST Salad recipe! If there is one salad recipe you need in your recipe box this is it, its my families favorite! Its made with fresh romaine lettuce, two kinds of cheese, flavorful bacon, sweet grape tomatoes, crunchy toasted almonds, crisp croutons and its all tossed with a fresh, bright lemon vinaigrette.
What Dressing Goes On Cobb Salad
Cobb Salad is traditionally served with a red wine vinaigrette. A vinaigrette is a great option for Cobb Salad because its super easy to make and has lots of tangy flavor to balance all the rich ingredients in the salad. But we dont have to limit ourselves here, try out these other dressing ideas!
- Creamy Buttermilk Ranch Dressing this is a personal favorite. I mean ranch is just classic with BobCobb.
- French Dressing
- Honey Mustard
When I told Eric I was making a Cobb Salad recipe, I asked him what dressing he would choose to go with it. Without hesitating he answered Honey Mustard. Who am I to deny such confidence? So thats why Ive included a quick Honey Mustard Dressing in the recipe below. Ive also included the Red Wine Vinaigrette recipe in the notes.
Homemade dressings make a big impact, but if youre short on time a store bought salad dressing is going to do you just fine. Dont let some food blogger tell you what to do.
Recommended Reading: Good Low Calorie Salad Dressing
More Main Dish Zucchini Recipes
Not in the mood for pasta? Good news! We have plenty of main dish zucchini recipes for enchiladas, tacos, pizza, and more. With all this variety, youre bound to find something you love.
Stuffed Zucchini BoatsI love entrees that focus on a whole vegetable cauliflower steaks, mushroom burgers, baked potatoes, and nowstuffed zucchini! This recipe doesnt let any squash go to waste. Youll mix the scooped-out flesh into a flavorful filling made from bread crumbs, pine nuts, cherry tomatoes, lemon zest, and Parmesan cheese.
Summer Squash Succotash, page 273 of The Love & Lemons CookbookThis veggie-packed version of succotash could easily pass as a side dish, but I often serve it over brown rice or quinoa and enjoy it as a meal on its own! Chickpeas add protein, while cherry tomatoes, summer squash, peppers, and basil make it nice and fresh.
Zucchini Verde Vegan Enchiladas, page 157 of Love & Lemons Every DayCrumbled tofu, black beans, poblanos, and sautéed zucchini make a hearty, flavorful filling for these vibrant vegan enchiladas. Thanks to tangy tomatillo salsa and spices like cumin and coriander, they taste great on their own, but theyre even better with cashew sour cream drizzled on top.
Vegetarian Italian Chopped Salad
Gluten free and easily vegan
I made your vegetarian Italian chop salad recipe. I loved it. The Italian dressing was better the second day. Great recipe! I added some chopped grilled chicken for my husband who is not vegetarian. It is one of the best vegetable salads I have eaten. I will make it often Donna
Don’t Miss: Where Can I Get A Big Salad
Farro Salad With Tart Cherries
This delicious farro salad features farro, a healthy whole grain, along with apple, arugula, and tart cherries. Sprinkle a bit of feta cheese for a savory saltiness, and then cover the entire salad in a tart cherry vinaigrette. With the red and the green, its visually stunning, and it tastes incredible: tangy, tart, sweet, and savory all at once. Though it features lots of fresh ingredients: apples, arugula and cherries, its one of those salad recipes that can be eaten year round since many of these ingredients are available throughout the year.
Why Is It Called A Cobb Salad
There are a few origin stories about where the Cobb salad recipe came from, but most of them start at the Brown Derby restaurant in Hollywood, CA. The story goes that the owner of the restaurant, Bob Cobb, was prowling around the kitchen one night, hadnt eaten all day. He took some leftovers from the kitchen , stole some bacon from a line cook, and tossed it all together. He loved it so much he added it to the menu. Another version of the story states that the head chef, Robert Kreis, created the salad in honor of the restaurant owner, Bob Cobb.
I just love that this guys name rhymes. I mean, Bob Cobb?? How have we as a society missed this opportunity? Im calling it a Bob Cobb Salad from now on. You want a Cobb Salad? No, I want a Bob Cobb Salad. BobCobbBobCobbBob
Okay, sorry Bob Cobb. Lets make your amazingly delicious salad.
Also Check: Can Salad Make You Lose Weight
Tips For Choosing Salad For A Dinner Party
When you begin to plan the menu for your dinner party, you can easily get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of available options. When you can choose from thousands of delicious salad recipes, it is often difficult to decide which one is the right fit for your guests and menu. Below are some elements to consider before you begin tossing your salad:
1. Know How Much Salad You Will Need The first step in narrowing down your search is to answer two basic questions: How large does the salad need to be, and how many different salads do you want to serve? As a general rule, plan for one or one and a half cups of salad per serving. Depending on the type of salad and your personal preference, you may choose to prepare more for each guest.
2. Decide How Many Salads You Want to Prepare You can prepare several batches of a single salad or try a few different recipes one approach is to make two distinct types of salad and let your guests choose the one they prefer. For example, you could have a savory salad in one bowl and a more delicate, fruit-laden option in another. Preparing multiple salads gives your guests some customization over their dinner and ensures everyone will have a salad they love.
Orzo Salad Recipe Ingredients
Heres what youll need to make this orzo pasta salad recipe:
- Orzo, of course! I love the way this tiny pasta shape mixes and mingles with the other ingredients.
- Cherry tomatoes For sweet, juicy pops of flavor.
- Persian cucumbers They add a cool, refreshing crunch.
- Red onion Slice these guys as thinly as you can. I recommend using a mandoline if you have one!
- Kalamata olives Their salty, briny flavor contrasts with the fresh herbs, cucumbers, and tomatoes.
- Feta cheese Skip the pre-crumbled feta for this recipe. Instead, look for feta that comes in a block, preferably in brine. Its flavor and texture are SO much better. Youll never get the crumbled kind again!
- Chickpeas I love garbanzo beans with Mediterranean ingredients like feta and olives, so I couldnt resist tossing them into this orzo salad. They make it more substantial too.
- Greek salad dressing In this orzo salad, I make the dressing extra-bright by whisking in an additional tablespoon of red wine vinegar and a big squeeze of lemon juice.
- Fresh mint and/or basil Pick just one, or use a mix.
- And sea salt and fresh black pepper To make all the flavors pop!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Cook the orzo, and dice up the veggies, feta, and olives while it cools.
Then, whisk up the dressing and toss it all together. Making this orzo salad recipe is as simple as that!
Also Check: Oxo Good Grips Green Salad Spinner
Colorful Beet Salad With Carrot Quinoa & Spinach
Gluten free and easily vegan
Im a guy who doesnt really cook. But my sister-in-law made this and it blew my mind. Best salad Ive ever had. I plan to make it a staple in my weekly diet. Like every day. I can eat the same thing daily if I like it enough. This one is there with so much health in such a tight package of amazingness. Jason
Delicious Cobb Salad Recipes
Classic Cobb Salad with Buttermilk Dressing. Crispy chicken, crumbled bacon, creamy avocado, jammy eggs and sharp blue cheese all on a bed of Romaine topped with a pour of homemade buttermilk dressing. Meet the ultimate, official TMP Cobb salad recipe.
Southwest Style Cobb Salad with Smoky Chipotle Dressing. A smoky chipotle mayo and a little time on the grill transform classic cobb salad ingredients into our new favorite summertime dinnera hearty Southwest-style Cobb salad.
Spring Cobb Salad. Organic lettuce, peas, radishes, asparagus and everything else that spring has to offer makes this riff on Cobb salad absolutely light and delicious.
Also Check: Moong Salad For Weight Loss
Top Tips For The Healthiest Salad
Building a great salad isnt rocket science, but there are some key qualities that make a healthy salad amazing just check out our perfect formula! Here are the cliff notes version so with any different salad ingredient combination you will know how to make a healthy salad recipe:
- Flavor of ingredients: must blend well together i.e. roasted red peppers, pepperoncini, olives and feta are perfect for an Italian or Greek salad
- Freshness of ingredients: crisp veggies, sweet fruit, fresh herbs/greens the fresher your ingredients the more tasty the salad!
- Appealing to the eye:we eat with our eyes first I am not sure who said that but its true the more colors the better.
- Different textures: creamy cheese with crunchy nuts, soft berries with crisp veggies, flaky salmon with buttery salad greens you get the picture, textures creates taste explosion!
- Homemade salad dressing: trust me it just makes your salad greens taste better, the ingredients are fresh and there are not any preservatives, enough said!
Best Salads For A Dinner Party
Once you have decided how much salad you need and what flavors mix well with your menu, you are ready to choose your recipe. Below are six of the best salads to serve at your next dinner party. For complete instructions, check out the full recipe linked in each option:
1. Mixed Asian Salad With Macadamia Nuts Sesame and macadamia nuts are the starring flavors in this mixed Asian salad. This elegant and versatile salad pairs beautifully with main dishes that feature plenty of fresh vegetables, and the flavors go exceptionally well with Middle Eastern, Indian, Japanese and Chinese-inspired meals. With subdued colors and a striking taste, this elegant salad recipe adds a gourmet touch to any dinner party. Macadamia nuts add both crunchiness and richness to the salad. To prepare them, toast the nuts in a skillet over low heat until they are a golden-brown color. Repeat the process with sesame seeds. When the macadamia nuts are cool, they will need to be chopped coarsely. Toss a large serving of baby Asian greens and enoki mushrooms with the nuts and seeds to finish the base of the salad. To make the vinaigrette, you will need to combine rice and white wine vinegar, mayonnaise, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, ginger, chili sauce and garlic in a food processor. Once blended, add vegetable oil to the mixture for creaminess. Make sure not to add the vinaigrette too early wait until the salad is ready to be enjoyed before adding the dressing.
Don’t Miss: Ambrosia Salad Recipe With Fruit Cocktail
Greek Kale Salad With Creamy Tahini Dressing
Gluten free and easily vegan
Im trying to get the world to love kale salads as much as i do. I have a few go-tos, and this just became my favorite. Or maybe tied for first, but still. I used feta instead of parmesan because I already had it but other than that I followed the recipe pretty closely. ITS PERFECT. The creamy tahini mixed with the salty greek flavors is just insane. So so so so happy to have this in my collection. Abby
How To Build Exciting Unboring Salads
The term salad doesnt just mean some lettuce drizzled with a dressing or vinaigrette. Instead, think of it as a meal that has multiple layers of flavor , texture , and color . Honestly, a salad is the most wonderful blank canvas to let your creativity run wild. So have fun with it. Heres a few ideas to get you started.
- Build layers of flavor. Start with a vegetable base, mix in seasonal ingredients, add filling protein, toss in some healthy fats, and drizzle a tasty dressing or sauce.
- Get creative with textures. Aim for a variety of textures with every bite it makes the salad more interesting! For example, start with a soft spinach base, then toss it with crisp bell pepper, juicy tomatoes, and crunchy nuts and seeds.
- Make your salad colorful. While green may form the base of your salad, remember that nutrient variety comes from color variety. So try to make your salad as vibrant as can be.The more color the better!
Read Also: I Need A Recipe For Macaroni Salad
Don’t Miss: New York Times Chicken Salad
Were Starting With Our Top 5 Best Chicken Avocado Salads
3. Grilled Chimichurri Chicken Avocado Salad
Ive tried your recipe yesterday and it was the BEST f***ing salad Ive ever eaten! Just WOW! So easy to prepare with a just a few different ingredients, really awesome. Even my boyfriend who doesnt like salad very much liked this one. ?Thank you very much. ? Best regards Sonja
4. Chicken Avocado Caprese Salad
OMG!!! Made this recipe for dinner this evening, and it was TO DIE FOR!!! I read the blog where it said that this will be your FAVORITE Caprese chicken salad, and I was like, okaywhateverI like all of the ingredients, so Im sure it will be fineTHEN I tasted this gemWOW!! You werent kidding when you said it would be my favorite chicken caprese salad!! DELICIOUS! Thank you so much for this delectable recipe!! Cant wait to try others!!.. Michelle
5. Grilled Chilli Lime Chicken Fajita Salad
Karina, this was HANDS DOWN the best salad I ever made. So much flavour!!! I added some red onion with the peppers, just because. Though Im sure itd be as flavourful without.Ive just discovered your blog, its quickly becoming one of my faves. Ill be trying a lot of your recipes in the upcoming weeks. Thank you! Diarra
This was so yummy! I never would have put this together, the egg is such a great touch Becca
17. Cilantro Lime Chicken Salad + Mango Avocado Salsa
18. Southwestern Chicken Salad
AND A BONUS DESSERT SALAD to complete this most epic 18 Best Salad Recipes round up!
Serving Recommendations For Healthy Salad Recipes
While some salads are main dish dinner worthy, other salads are perfect as a side salad. Even when a salad is a meal you may want an appetizer to tide hungry appetites over until everything is ready.
- Casseroles: A salad really adds a spot of fresh green to the table when served with cabbage roll casserole, ground turkey quinoa casserole and zucchini casserole.
- Meatless Meals: Enjoy a hearty veggie filled meal when you pair salad with zucchini potato bake, spaghetti, or chili mac.
A salad really can be enjoyed at every meal. Have a salad for lunch, followed by a healthy snack in the afternoon. Browse additional cleaning eating dinner ideas, top healthy sides or lunch recipes to come up with your own healthy meal combination!
Recommended Reading: Fat Free Salad Dressing Brands
Colorful Strawberry Arugula Salad With Balsamic Vinaigrette
Gluten free and easily vegan
I made this salad for my sisters birthday BBQ and it was a big hit! Everyone thought it was very refreshing and that the flavor was perfect. I couldnt get my bottle of regular balsamic vinegar open, so subbed white balsamic and it was great. I think this recipe will become one of my BBQ standards as it really was excellent and it looks really pretty too. Thanks Kate for the great recipe! Mo